Thursday, October 9, 2008

Not your mama's BLT's




Or, if you grew up in my family-maybe they are!

Bacon, Lettuce, and Tomato...are just the basics! We like to mix it up-think onion, avacado, peppers, cheese, mustard, garlic, spinach...


Whatever you add, the two keys (In my opinion, of course) are the crispy, evenly cooked bacon, and well toasted bread.


I was, once-upon-a-time, the employee of a red-hatted fast food resteraunt, and it was there that I discovered that you can bake bacon. I have used this method ever since, because as we all know, I am picky about my meat. For bacon, this translates to a deep need for crispy, evenly cooked strips-not floppy and raw. Ick.


Bake bacon in a casserole or broiling pan, with or without a rack. Heat oven to 375, and check it after 15 minutes, though it may take 25. You don't want burnt bacon. Once it has been cooked to your liking, drain on paper towels.


For toasting of bread, I switch the oven to broil and move the rack up. This allows you to toast all of the bread for everyone's sandwiches at once-just remember to leave the oven door propped open, and watch that bread closely.

We don't use much iceburg lettuce around our house-I think it's lacking in flavor.
Our creation pictured at the top was made with potato bread, mayo, spinach, tomato, onion, avacado, and crispy bacon.

Here's to lunch!

2 comments:

Team Prescott can now be found @ teamprescott.tumblr.com said...

nomnomnom

Mommy Does said...

Hey you eat BLT's the way we do!! We call them Epic BLT's!! YUM!